The Nelson-House Antique Horse Drawn Hearse is kept on display in a carriage house at 120 E. Mason St., Owosso. The hearse is still used in actual funeral service and is available for hire. Built in 1870 by James Cunnigham Co. of Rochester, N.Y. it was originally retired from funeral service by the Drowns Funeral Home in Ellensburg Depot, N.Y. In 1976 it was restored and used in the U.S. Bicentennial Parade in Butler County, PA. Nelson-House purchased the hearse in March of 1981 and it is featured in many parades in the Mid-Michigan area. It has taken top honors in the Curwood Parade, Oakley-Brady Festival, Michigan State Fair Grand Opening Parade, 75th United Auto Workers Parade, and Genesee County 150th Birthday Celebration Parade. it has been on loan and displayed at the R.E. Olds Museum in Lansing.
For rental information contact Nelson-House Funeral Home